Can microphone sound quality degrade over time?

Discussion around the technical aspects of presenting a radio show. From mixers to software used. Including any help on using software with Reach OnAir
michaelfarrie

Can microphone sound quality degrade over time?

Post by michaelfarrie »

Bit of a niggling one, I reckon the voice on my shows don't sound as good as after I moved in 2018, it used to sound very clear and sharp, I do mess with EQ settings, even a new microphone hasn't really solved it can't get that same sort of sound. I went into more debt because I really couldn't stand how dull it sounded, but it still doesn't sound as bright and clear even on a brand new one.

Can they be affected by the environment, such as an overly warm room?

Have you noticed your microphones not sounding as good after a few years?

Ed Robertson

Re: Can microphone sound quality degrade over time?

Post by Ed Robertson »

I use a Rode Procaster, not cheap but built like a Tank, I've had it for the last 8 years,
the overall sound quality is superb, It's a Dynamic Microphone, I run it through a
Behringer U-Phoria UMC 22 USB Interface, and it just Works, No need to mess with settings,
Do a sound check on Reach, they will advise if quality is good,
Look forward to hearing you.

Mark Stevens

Post by Mark Stevens »

Your room can have an effect on the sound quality of your microphone. For example, if you have a lot of soft furnishings in the room close to your microphone, there is less reflective sound. This can cause your voice to not sound as bright as it otherwise would. While any hard surface, like a window, will reflect more sound.

You don't say what type of microphone you have. If it isn't a USB mic, and you use a mixer, I recommend getting a microphone processor. I use the DBX 286s for my show, but there are others around. I think Behringer have one at a cheaper price. My DBX adds clarity to my voice, and gives it added punch and vibrancy. It includes a mic pre-amp, compressor, de-esser, enhancer, and an expander/gate. You can plug your mic into the DBX unit and cable from the DBX to the mixer. Alternatively, if your mixer has insert jacks, you can plug the mic in the mixer as you normally do, and plug the DBX into the insert jack.

It really does make a big difference. It does cost around £130 but I wouldn't broadcast without it. I understand that's a lot of money, but keep an I on Ebay as I have seen them crop up on there now and again for around the £50 price mark. There are videos on You Tube if you want to take a peek.

michaelfarrie

Post by michaelfarrie »

I've resorted to getting a microphone out of a box every time doing a show and then putting away again as the room gets very warm and cold etc, is near food production, the humidity can go over 60%, bit annoying, instead of microphone processing which I hadn't heard about it before bu t not surprised about that as a technique, is to put EQ filters in the software and on the mixer itself, it drives up the mid range, the bass and top end and does end up sounding pretty good, rather than leaving it flat on the mixer. But with some microphones that have been elft out, dropped etc, the top end and liveliness doesn't seem to be there as much even as it remains sounding pretty clear.

Microphones are mainly AKG Perception, money's pretty tight to sort anything out, I've gone into a lot of debt buying things like this, over £1000 on Amazon Card etc, shame cannot be paid for working on production.