Another connection problem!

Discussion around the technical aspects of presenting a radio show. From mixers to software used. Including any help on using software with Reach OnAir
Alan_Ross

Another connection problem!

Post by Alan_Ross »

Hi guys,

I didn't think I would have problems connecting, as my last internet station was no problem! Maybe I'm a bit older and dimmer now, but I just cannot get the Basic Broadcaster to 'hear' my output. I use the MIXXX software (mainly because it's free!) but no matter what settings I put in, I can't get it to record a test broadcast,
It records perfectly fine to my own hard drive, but not any further!
I've also tried the 'Play It Live' software, setting the passwords etc exactly and double-checking still with no luck. Both report an incorrect username or password, which there most certainly is not!!

I don't know whether it has anything to do with the broadcaster not accepting the config file which produced the response "error while parsing config. Missing address entry for server "Reach OnAir Live Show" Butt is going to close" which it promptly does! However, I did go into the settings and these are all filled in correctly anyway, so I don't think the config file should matter?

I've tried changing the audio devices, which are Default PCM (default), Microsoft Sound Mapper - input and microphone USB PnP device (which I use for headphones as my headphone socket is broken!). They are the only options I have and I've tried them all, along with all of the options on my PC sound settings which are the USB sound card and DigitalOutput (Nvidia High Definition Audio) which I notice doesn't actually appear on the list in the Broadcaster app. Not sure if that matters or how I could make it appear!? I've also tried every combination of the output device on the MIXXX and Play It Live software.

As I said, I'm getting a bit dim with technical stuff these days so anything you could suggest would be very much appreciated!

bertie

Re: Another connection problem!

Post by bertie »

Aha! So here's (I think) what's going on.

You have three buttons on basic broadcaster (depending on the version you use)

1. TEST / Triangle
2. STOP / Square
3. LIVE / Red Circle.

To test that the show will be heard and broadcast live you use (#1 Test). When you hit #1, play some music, speak through your microphone etc, then hit (#2 - Stop). Listen back locally, if it sounds great, then you know you're going to sound great OnAir.

(#3 - LIVE) is ONLY used 30 minutes before a show. If you hit it any other time it will give an incorrect user/password error message.

If your show is at 19:00 for example, between 18:30 - 19:00, hit '#3 - Live' and it should move from CONNECTING > STEAMING. At this point you're connected. Now open up your Broadcast Panel (found on the Reach OnAir members area 30 mins before your show begins) and this counts you down until live. So even though the Basic Broadcaster is connected, you are only 'heard' when your timers hit zero. It's all seamlessly moved on and off for you.

If, in the example above you try and connect at 18:29 or before, it will give you the error message you're seeing.

I hope this helps!

Alan_Ross

Post by Alan_Ross »

Thanks Bertie, however I can't get any sound connecting on the test recording feature either. I keep an eye on the LEDs on the app and there's just nothing getting through.
I tried recording a test on every possible combination of sound settings and listening to it back, and it is just pure silence. :cry:

EDIT:
Just been re-reading the setup information. So am I right in thinking that if I am using something like Mixxx or PlayIt Live, I don't actually need to use the basic broadcaster?
If that's the case, how can I test that my stream is getting through without waiting until I am live on air! Should I still be getting some sort of signal through on the Basic Broadcaster even if I am using PlayIt Live?
If I'm not using software which has a built in encoder etc, then if I play music through, for example, VLC media Player should that be going through to my Basic Broadcaster to let me make a test recording? At present, no software or combination of software is lighting up the lights or getting through to the Basic Broadcaster!

Really sorry for being awkward - told you I was a bit of tech dunce these days!!

EDIT v2.0:
I managed to get it to connect no problem on my work laptop, so if necessary, I'll drive the show from my main PC and use the laptop to send the feed to the studio which should work. I'll test the setup later with the test facility on the Basic Broadcaster app.
Fingers crossed.

bertie

Post by bertie »

Hi Alan - sorry for not coming back yesterday, but good to hear you've had a few developments. Let me try and address in a few ways:

PlayIt Live / Mixxx

I can't speak about Mixxx, as i'm not overly familiar (but I assume it's the same), but yes if you use the streaming plugin for Playit Live then you don't need to use Basic Broadcaster. Basic Broadcaster is there for those who don't use a playout software (so maybe itunes or WMP to play their music), however if you have playout system like PlayIt with a stream option, then you can ignore the Basic Broadcaster.
  • - Testing - So this is the one weakness in our set up right now. The only time you can test it connects is within 30 mins before your first show. We're working on it but, that's a catch. For show #2 onwards it's no issue, as it's already set up and you know it works, but for Show #1 it can be a little nervy. However I suggest trying to connect at 18:31 (assuming your show is at 19:00) and then you have 30 mins to correct.
  • - Important - One thing that catches out PlayIt users out is an erroneous ' / ' that's needed before your mount. If you see on this page https://www.guide.reachonair.com/setup-with-encoder - If you are entering in your MOUNT make sure it's /123456 not 123456. (the grey text on the screenshot has e.g. /live)

-----

Basic Broadcaster

It sounds like when you set up your Basic Broadcaster, somehow it got a little corrupt in the config files, that might be why on your laptop it seems to be working, to correct this follow the following steps (assuming you're using Windows):

1. In the Start search box write Run and then enter
2. In Run > %appdata% and then enter
3. Delete > 'ReachOnAirConfig' and ‘butt’ config (either or both may exist)
4. Uninstall Butt
5. Make sure you install the latest version: https://www.guide.reachonair.com/window ... roadcaster
6. Then you can follow this set up (which is literally entering user name and password): https://www.guide.reachonair.com/get-on ... roadcaster

But yes, if you play something on WMP with Basic Broadcaster doing a local TEST run, it should hear it, along with your mic.

----

Hope this helps, and sorry if i've misunderstood!
Bertie

Alan_Ross

Post by Alan_Ross »

Hooray - sort of!
I have managed now to get Mixxx working perfectly with the Basic Broadcaster unit, however I have made the rookie error of buying a USB microphone which means I can't get it to transmit.

It's really strange because it will record to a wav file on my computer no problem, mixing music, voice and jingles etc perfectly. But when I try to send the signal to Basic Broadcaster, it gets the music etc but no voice!
I've tried every setting I can think of on both Basic Broadcaster and Mixxx, but no luck so far. On the broadcaster box, it's either the music (on Stereo Mix) or my Mic! But not both. I'll keep working at it though but, if I don't have this solved within a few hours, I'll have to cancel my booked shows until I can afford to buy a proper plug microphone. So If the booked shows suddenly disappear, that's why!

bertie

Post by bertie »

Hi Alan - let me get one of our Windows DJs to step in and help with the stereo mix etc (sorry i'm Mac based so a little more limited!) - we're making progress, you should be able to do this no problem with a USB mic, many do!

Bertie

Mark Stevens

Post by Mark Stevens »

Hi Alan

Give this a go
go to www.vb-audio.com/voicemeeter/index.htm
Download the Voicemeeter software which is free (actually it's donation ware so you can give some money if you find it useful, but that's up to you).

It's basically a virtual mixer. So put the output of your audio playout software on one fader, and your USB mic on another.
Then on the Reach Broadcaster select the Voicemeeter as the audio input.
You can use the faders on the Voicemeeter to control levels.
I don't use it myself as have a proper mixer, but I did suggest this to another Reach presenter who was having similar problems to you and it worked for him.

Good luck. I hope it works for you

MARK

Alan_Ross

Post by Alan_Ross »

Mark,
Thank you very much for that link! Problem seems to be solved!
I've tried recording a 'live' segment onto the test of our Broadcaster app which worked great, so I'll finally take the plunge and book in for a nightshift tomorrow (well, technically Tuesday as it will be midnight until 2am)!
Hopefully everything should connect ok - I'll try logging on at 23:31 to make sure!

Thanks again for everyone's help!

Mark Stevens

Post by Mark Stevens »

Glad to hear that you're all sorted.
Good luck on your first show