Broadcasting a show

Discussion around the technical aspects of presenting a radio show. From mixers to software used. Including any help on using software with Reach OnAir
ChrisJames

Broadcasting a show

Post by ChrisJames »

Hi, so I would like to be able to get a show out Live on Reach, but getting stuck. What is the best play out software to use as I can't make sense of the basic one Reach have, all I'm getting is a tiny screen displaying some sound levels and a record and play button. Where am I going wrong. I'm 18 months already into playing on a community station but use a different sort of set up. Thanks for any help

bertie

Re: Broadcasting a show

Post by bertie »

Hi Chris

Great to hear from you and can't wait to hear your first show on Reach.

The Reach Basic Broadcaster is a system that simply listens to your computer, it isn't a playout software. So to do a show you could:

1) Install and Setup Broadcaster - this listens to your computer when you go live.
2) For your show play your music through Spotify/WMP/iTunes/Any Playout Software of your choice.
3) Speak through the microphone if you want to talk

Alternatively, you can not use the Basic Broadcaster, if your PlayOut Software (e.g. Mixx, PlayIt) has a streaming service built in).

I'm not sure if you're seen our walk through guide, but hopefully this is all super useful: https://www.guide.reachonair.com/how-does-reach-work

If you're still stuck, feel free to ask questions!

Alan_Ross

Post by Alan_Ross »

Hi Chris,

As you may see from my earlier posts, I was having problems, but my setup now works great.
I use a mixer called MIXXX but rather than using that to stream directly to Reach OnAir, I output it to a channel on a bit of software called VoiceMeeter. I have set my microphone through another Voicemeeter channel rather than MIXXX. I just use MIXXX as a music and jingles player.
Set the Basic Broadcaster's Audio Device in settings to the VoiceMeeter software and seems to work great!

Hope you find a solution soon!

ChrisJames

Post by ChrisJames »

Hi thanks for some ideas and advice,

I currently use Virtual DJ to load my tracks and jingles onto and the station I go out Live on heard my sound using the radio Co broadcaster they provide. Does the Reach one work in the same way for that?

Or perhaps should I try the mixx one and see if I can figure it out. Have cancelled my planned show this week as until I know it works I dont want to take a slot that someone else could have.

bertie

Post by bertie »

Hi Chris

Virtual DJ + Basic Broadcaster will work perfectly. So in short:

1) Download and Install Basic Broadcaster (follow this simple guide: https://www.guide.reachonair.com/basic-broadcaster)
2) Do a TEST where you play+speak on virtual DJ with the Broadcaster 'listening' in the background.
3) All good? You're set to go on air, 30 mins before your booked show hit LIVE on basic broadcaster, then forget about it.
4) All count down timers etc are shown to you in your members area :)

ChrisJames

Post by ChrisJames »

I had the basic broadcaster box up on my screen and was trying to see if it would hear what I was playing through vdj, but none of the lights on the panel where moving, they did though when i spoke.

Do i need to change any settings? If I can get this hooked up and working I'm very interested in signing up for the payment options.

bertie

Post by bertie »

Thanks Chris - have you tried adjusting the settings as shown at the bottom of this page?

https://www.guide.reachonair.com/audio- ... roadcaster

Hopefully this helps!

ChrisJames

Post by ChrisJames »

I did try and change the settings but wasn't getting much luck. Will try again later and see, now I've had some further advice it hopefully will help.

I can easily make and produce a show but when it comes to the technical side I'm rubbish lol.

ChrisJames

Post by ChrisJames »

My voice is being picked up on the recording but rather annoying it is going through a separate device (focusrite) which I would turn on and off on VDJ and even when off it is still picking up sound on the Basic broadcaster and no music was picked up 🤔

Alan_Ross

Post by Alan_Ross »

Any further forward Chris?
I am exactly the same as you, not good with technical, but I got around it by using the VoiceMeeter software which allows you to specify the input channels (so I have one for my mic, one for my laptop and the one from my PC soundcard.

It was a bit of trial and error, however on MIXXX (and therefore I assume Virtual DJ - I've never used that one)there is an option for the output signal. I send mixxx to the Voicemeeter software which takes care of the music.
On the actual VoiceMeeter software, there is an option to select the hardware input on the first 2 channels for which it will automatically display all possible options depending on your setup. As I say, I have selected my microphone in the first channel (the hardware input displays a few different options, but I found the WDM choice of the socket where my mic is plugged worked best), my laptop (connected via an audio lead into my main PC line in) on channel 2 (again WDM of the rear line input channel) then the virtual input channel takes whatever other sound my pc sends it, so MIXXX, virtual cart wall etc.

Then on the Broadcaster software, I just set the audio device as the VoiceMeeter and it works well.

Sorry if that has confused you even more! We'll get you connected eventually!